The Gospels and Catholic Social Teaching clearly call us to welcome the stranger. CMSM advocates for issues in accord with this tradition and toward a more just system of immigration.
Learn about for-profit prisons, “shadow prisons” and “bed quotas” for prisoners.
CMSM Statements and Actions
- CMSM Media Release: Bank Campaign Moves JP Morgan Chase Out of Private Prisons (2019)
- Catholic Day of Action with Dreamers (2018)
- Letter to Congress on Dream Act and Bank Boycott (2017)
- CMSM Statement on Decision to End DACA (2017)
Partners and Resources
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network
- Hope Border Institute
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition
- Justice for Immigrants (JFI)
- Building Intercultural Competence for Ministers (working in the Church), United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- “Ministry for Immigrant Justice“: 2014 study by CMSM and LCWR with the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) that found considerable engagement on immigration, but also a need for increased education on human trafficking and a significant desire for related training, particularly in cross-cultural communication, language skills, and legal issues.
- U.S. Department of State visas for religious workers
Additional JPIC Priorities
Header photo credit: